3100 acres
The largest privately owned industrial site and terminal on the east coast

The 3,100-acre industrial site in southeastern Baltimore County, Maryland, offers a gateway to markets around the United States and the world, featuring a unique combination of access to deep water berths, rail and highways.

Next page

Direct Interstate highway access

Interstate 695 (the Baltimore Beltway) intersects Tradepoint Atlantic and provides direct access at two exits — and an easy connection to Interstate 95, I-70, and regional markets.

Deep water berths & turning basin

Tradepoint Atlantic has a deep-water port, including a turning basin and 1,150-foot pier that is immediately available to accommodate heavy commodities.

100 miles of on-site track
Connections to two Class I railroads

A short-line railroad serves virtually all of Tradepoint Atlantic with 100 miles of track. Connecting to two Class I railroads, tenants and shippers will be able to easily reach rail markets across the United States.

Baltimore Industrial Railroad Freight & Demurrage Tariff BDR 8600

Tradepoint Atlantic to...

Philadelphia, 102 miles

New York City, 190 miles

Pittsburgh, 260 miles

Raleigh, 320 miles

Boston, 406 miles

Atlanta, 580 miles

Memphis, 925 miles

Tradepoint Atlantic has been extensively studied by engineers and scientists as they have sought to understand the impact of more than a century of steel-making. Under the new agreements with federal and state regulators, the resources will now be in place to develop and implement a comprehensive and well-funded remediation plan.

As part of the agreements with state and federal regulators, Tradepoint Atlantic is committing $48 million to ensure adequate funding for clean-up. Tradepoint Atlantic is committed to working with federal, state and local environmental regulators to ensure the property is remediated and ready for industrial redevelopment.

Maryland Department of the Environment Administrative Consent Order

Environmental Protection Agency Prospective Purchaser Agreement


In 1886, the Pennsylvania Steel Company sought a new location for an ironmaking plant. The facility needed access to deep-water channels, railroad connections, and close proximity to inland markets and natural resources. Just as it is today, there was only one site that offered a near-perfect combination of those attributes: Sparrows Point.

The Pennsylvania Steel Company purchased the original Sparrows Point property from five local families in 1887. Construction of blast furnaces started immediately. The company also began constructing houses for employees, establishing the town of Sparrows Point.

The town, which eventually grew to more than 10,000 residents, had a police department, fire department and high school, as well as several churches, stores, banks and entertainment venues.

Beginning in 1889, the mill began a series of seemingly endless expansions, modernizations and overhauls. Steelmaking was established with the construction of two Bessemer converters, a blooming mill and a rail mill. More blast furnaces were constructed. The entire operation was reorganized as a subsidiary of Pennsylvania Steel, under the "Maryland Steel Company" name.


The Bethlehem Steel Company acquired the Maryland Steel Company in 1916. It immediately embarked on rapid expansion plans, purchasing more land and constructing new facilities. Between 1916 and 1929, four blast furnaces, three Bessemer converters, three open hearth furnaces, plate mills, a tin mill, a blooming mill, a continuous bar mill, a rod and wire mill, and a pipe mill were constructed at "The Point". Bethlehem Steel also established a short line railroad to serve the mill, the Patapsco & Back Rivers Railroad.

World War II jump-started another period of expansion that would last well into the 1950s. The cold, tin and hot-strip mills were expanded. A power plant was constructed.

The Point was the world's largest producer of iron in 1953. By 1958 it was the largest steelmaking facility in the United States, with the largest tin mill in the world. It employed more than 30,000 people.

But, fundamental changes were beginning to occur in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Foreign steel imports increased tremendously. Aluminum surpassed tin as the metal of choice for packaging. Plastic replaced steel in many auto parts and consumer goods.


Bethlehem made efforts to keep The Point competitive. Residents of the town of Sparrows Point were relocated to make way for new facilities. A basic oxygen furnace was constructed and the tin mill was expanded in the 1960s. The last remnants of the town were demolished in 1974 to make way for the "L" blast furnace. When it casted its first iron in 1978, the "L" furnace was the largest furnace in the Western Hemisphere. It remained dominant for more than two decades, setting a North American record for monthly iron production in May 1995.

The Point underwent major changes in the 1980s and 1990s. Older facilities were demolished, including seven blast furnaces, two open-hearth furnaces, eight coke oven batteries, the pipe mills and the rod and wire mills. A new continuous caster was constructed in 1985. The hot strip mills, tin mill and "L" furnace were modernized. A new cold mill was constructed in 1999 at a cost of $300 million.

Sadly, these efforts were not enough to save the mill. Bethlehem Steel filed for bankruptcy protection in 2001. In the following 11 years, The Point had five owners. None were able to operate the mill successfully. Steelmaking operations ceased in June 2012.

In the fall of 2014 – two years after steel production ceased – Sparrows Point Terminal, LLC (SPT) purchased the 3,100-acre site with plans to redevelop it as a major East Coast distribution hub. SPT, led by local investors, is in the process clearing the site and marketing it to potential tenants. The redevelopment marks the beginning of a new era for the Point – moving toward, once again, employing generations of Baltimore-area residents.


Press Release, April 5, 2016
Tradepoint Atlantic Signs Lease with Harley Davidson

Press Release, March 7, 2016
National Economic Council Visit

Press Release, February 4, 2016
Paul Thomas Named Terminal Manager for Tradepoint Atlantic Railroad

Press Release, January 20, 2016
Tradepoint Atlantic Signs FedEx Ground

Press Release, January 12, 2016
Sparrows Point Terminal to Rebrand as “Tradepoint Atlantic”

Back River Fact Sheet

Press Release, October 26, 2015
Eric Gilbert Named as EVP of Development

October 2015 Open House

Press Release, October 13, 2015
Mike Mullen Named as Senior Advisor

Press Release, September 28, 2015
Kerry Doyle Named as VP of Finance

Press Release, September 23, 2015
Joseph M. Greco, Sr. Named as VP of Commercial & Trade Development

Press Release, August 11, 2015
Michael Moore Named as New CEO

Press Release, June 4, 2015
JLL Named as Exclusive Broker, Parsons Brinckerhoff as Land Planning Firm

For real estate inquiries, contact our team:

Mark G. Levy, Managing Director, (443) 452-1509

Ben Meisels, Senior Vice President, (443) 451-2614

Ryan Burrows, Vice President, (443) 452-1514

Greg Ferraro, Associate, (443) 451-2618

Erin Corrie, Senior Associate, (757) 965-3007

Tradepoint Atlantic
1600 Sparrows Point Boulevard
Baltimore, Maryland 21219

Receive our newsletter or submit a comment